Metropolitan Transportation Authority New York City Transit Authority City-Wide Underground Storage Tank and Environmental Remediation Program
Posted on May 22, 2015
Client: Metropolitan Transportation Authority New York City Transit Authority
Project Type: City-Wide Underground Storage Tank and Environmental Remediation Program
Project Period: December 2012 - Ongoing
Project Cost: $5,900,000
D&B Project Responsibilities
D&B Engineers and Architects, P.C. (D&B) was retained by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) New York City Transit Authority (NYCT) to undertake a comprehensive environmental remediation and monitoring program at various NYCT and Metropolitan Transportation Authority Bus Company (MTABC) current and former bus depots located throughout the five boroughs of New York City associated with historic petroleum spills. This work is being completed pursuant to an Administrative Consent Order between the NYCT and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC). The goal of this program is to investigate and remediate contaminated soil and groundwater associated with petroleum releases, primarily from underground storage tanks (USTs).
The project includes the investigation and remediation of spills of various petroleum products, including gasoline, diesel fuel, waste oil and hydraulic fluid at 17 NYCT and MTABC bus depots and properties located in all five New York City boroughs. The program tasks include:
• Routine monthly monitoring of groundwater and nonaqueous phase liquid (NAPL) levels at over 310 groundwater monitoring and extraction wells.
• Semi-annual sampling of groundwater for laboratory analysis at over 250 monitoring wells.
• Drafting of a comprehensive monitoring and sampling summary report to be submitted to the NYSDEC on a monthly basis.
• Preparing Work Plans for and completing subsurface investigations to determine the nature and extent of contamination.
• Designing and optimizing soil and groundwater remedial systems.
• Remedial system operation and maintenance.
• UST removal and closure activities.
• Performing routine tank tightness testing.
• Participating in Monthly Status Meetings with the NYSDEC, NYCT and MTABC.
Each project or assignment is issued by the NYCT and/or MTABC on a task order basis requiring D&B to develop a scope of work and estimated project budget. The scope and budget are submitted to the NYCT and/or MTABC for review and consideration. After agreeing on the scope and budget, the NYCT and/or MTABC will authorize D&B to proceed with the work. This program will be in effect through 2015.
For more information about this service, email us at email@example.com.