Mitchel Houses, Comprehensive Improvements
Posted on June 18, 2015
Client: NYCHA Construction Management
Location: Bronx, NY
Project Type: Comprehensive Improvements
Project Period: December 2014 – June 2019
Project Cost: $90 Million
- Attend meetings with NYCHA, Architect/Engineer, and Program Manager
- CPM Scheduling
- Constructability and Value Engineering Review
- Construction Cost Estimating
- Contract Document Development
- Construction Quality Management Plan
- Procurement Services
- Construction Administration and Management
- Quality Control and Testing
- Resident Engineering Inspection
- Cash Flow Forecast
- Assist in Obtaining Certificate of Occupancy
- NYCHA Training/O&M Certificates
- Complete Construction Closeout
- As-built Drawings
- Final report
The John Purroy Mitchel Houses complex was constructed by the New York City Housing Authority, and completed in February 1966. The complex is bounded by 138th and 135th streets to the north and south, respectively, and Willis Avenue and Lincoln Avenue to the east and west, respectively. The 1,732 apartment complex consists of ten large residential buildings and one non‐residential community center ranging from 17 to 20 stories high.
Under this Comprehensive Capital Improvements Program, the Mitchel Houses will receive a major upgrade to the complex to be delivered in 3 construction packages:
- Package A – Under this Package all ten buildings will be abated for asbestos, receive a new liquid applied membrane roof, new lightening protection system and masonry repairs/repointing. D&B will be providing full-time roof inspectors to inspect the work.
- Package B – The largest of the packages. Under this Package all of the complexes bathrooms will be remediated for mold, asbestos, and lead paint and be completely renovated. This work includes new fixtures, plumbing chase, walls, and tiling in all bathrooms. D&B will providing inspection QA/QC as well as environmental air monitoring during the asbestos abatement work.
- Package C – The Final Scope of Work Package will include new site lighting to comply with the new Lighting Policy. D&B will be providing electrical inspectors to monitor the work.
D&B focus on the Mitchel Houses Project has been to provide NYCHA with a full range of Construction Management Services managing all issues and providing a comprehensive reporting system to keep all issues a float.
For more information about this service, email us at email@example.com.