Rockland County Solid Waste Management Authority, Composting Facility Upgrade
Posted on June 17, 2015
Client: Rockland County Solid Waste Management Authority
Location: Rockland County
Project Type: Composting Facility Upgrade
Project Period: 1989 - 1999
Project Cost: $13,000,000
- Site Grading and Utilities
- Batch Mixers
- Bin Agitators
- Process Blowers
- Ammonia Scrubber/4-Cell
- Enclosured Biofilter
- Long-term Storage Area
- Trommel Screen
- Meterological Station
As part of the County’s integrated solid waste management system, this project successfully eliminated disposal of municipal sewage sludge generated in the County through the construction of a 110 wet ton per day composting facility utilizing agitated bin technology. D&B engineers provided planning, design and construction oversight services. This project was the first composting facility in the U.S. to employ an enclosed biofiltration system for odor control, and is designed to prevent objectionable odors from occurring off-site.
D&B Project Responsibilities
Project responsibilities included facility siting, sizing and site configuration, preparation of plans and specifications, environmental impact statement, permitting, procurement assistance and bid evaluations, and construction management & acceptance test witnessing services.
- Composting eliminated municipal sewage sludge using agitated bin technology
- First composting facility in the U.S. employing enclosed biofiltration system for odor control
- Developed odor control performance criteria and test methods
Major Problems Anticipated and Resolved
Complex design issues included selection of the odor control system technology; development of odor control performance criteria and test methods; protection of natural resources and connection to existing utilities.
Provided technical support to the RCSWMA in developing press reports and other public information materials. Attended public meetings. Conducted site tours.
- Prepared Amendment Storage Area with a storage capacity of 60 days.
- Mixing area with stationary and truck mounted batch mixers.
- Composting in 9 aerated bins which are periodically agitated by 2 electrically powered compost turners with bin leveling capability.
- Aerated curing area with 29 days storage capacity.
- Long term storage building including post-processing area for trommel screening of compost.
- Make-up air and exhaust ventilation system.
- Composting control system.
- Packed tower scrubber for ammonia control.
- Enclosed biofilter for odor control.
- Wastewater management system to minimize potable water consumption.
- Site Development
- Environmental Permitting
- Community Involvement
- Construction Management
For more information about this service, email us at email@example.com.