Westchester County Department of Environmental Facilities, Yonkers Joint Wastewater Treatment Plant Primary Thickener/Dewatering Facility Odor Abatement
Posted on June 30, 2015
Client: Westchester County Department of Environmental Facilities
Location: Yonkers Joint Wastewater Treatment Plant
Project Period: 1993-1996
Project Cost: $4,000,000
- Scrubber Equipment Building
- Mist Scrubbers – 3 @ 12’ diameter x 32’ H
- Discharge Stack 54” Diameter
- Air Compressor Systems
- Fiberglass Ductwork System 12”-54” Diameter
- Variables Odor Speed Control Exhaust Fan System
- Air Dispersion Modeling
- NYSDEC/WCDOH Stack Emission Permitting/Testing
- Chemical Storage Systems
- Sludge Heat Exchangers
- Sludge Pumping Units/HW Recirculation Pumps
The project was designed to provide odor abatement on and off the plant site by collecting and treating the odorous air from the Primary Thickener Building and the Sludge Dewatering Facility. Other miscellaneous improvements of the treatment facilities were also included. The project was completed on-schedule and within budget.
D&B Project Responsibilities
D&B was responsible for project planning, emissions permitting, design, bidding services, construction management services, O&M manuals, as well as start-up and training services.
Planning and design services included evaluation of odor concerns, literature searches, evaluation of odor treatment technologies, air dispersion modeling and NYSDEC/WCDOH permitting.
- Comprehensive planning, emissions permitting, design, bidding services, construction management services, O&M manuals
- Odor abatement on and off-site
- Project completions on-schedule and within budget
- Air dispersion modeling and alternative treatment technology evaluations
Major Problems Anticipated and Resolved
Complex design issues included limited site availability for the proposed odor control facilities requiring new facilities to be constructed over an existing tunnel system; FRP ductwork in sizes up to 54 inches in diameter and coordination with existing structures, roof loadings, etc.; mitigating odors to the satisfaction of the local community; air dispersion modeling including a wwsignificant rise in terrain.
- Technical Design Report for project scoping for odor abatement for the 90-mgd WWTP including Primary Thickener facilities and Sludge Dewatering facilities.
- Air emission permitting (air dispersion modeling) – NYSDEC, WCDOH
- Odor control mist scrubbers – 3 @ 12’ diameter x 32’ H
- FRP odor control ductwork system – 12”-54” diameter
- Variable speed odor control exhaust system
- FRP discharge stack – 54” diameter
- Air handling units and associated stainless steel ductwork
- Scrubber equipment building including VFDs, chemical pumps/storage tanks, air compressors, electrical equipment
- Sludge heat exchangers, sludge pumping systems and hot water recirculation pumping system
Air preheater installation at carbon adsorber vessel
- Emissions Permitting
- Air Dispersion Modeling
- Site Development
- Odor Control Processes
- Community Involvement
- Construction Management
For more information about this service, email us at email@example.com.