There is a fundamental goal common to all green or sustainable philosophies: Reducing or eliminating negative environmental impacts. As green design and construction proliferates and continues to be seamlessly incorporated into everyday lives, applying these socially responsible concepts to remedial sites will provide similar benefits to remedial programs.
Not Easy Being Green…But Important!
Employing green technologies and concepts enables remedial programs to meet present environmental needs efficiently, sustainably and without compromising the future environment or surrounding communities.
In accordance with guidelines presented in the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation’s (NYSDEC’s) DER-31 Green Remediation Policy, D&B is committed to incorporating green technologies and concepts into all stages of our remedial programs…from site investigation to selection of appropriate and feasible remedial technologies to Remedial System Optimization (RSO) programs.
Advantages of D&B’s Holistic Approach:
- Reduced overall environmental footprint of site/remedy.
- Less generation of greenhouse gasses & other pollutants.
- Increased energy efficiency & minimized use of non-renewable energies.
- Lower rate of consumables usage (activated carbon, process chemicals, fuel, etc.).
- Less waste generation & increased materials reuse/recycling.
- Application of sustainable technologies, such as solar/wind for electrical generation or geothermal for heating/cooling.
- Reduced impacts to the overall environment and surrounding communities.
- Remedial programs tailored to projected site usage.
Reduced Remedial Costs
Environmental and social benefits aside, incorporating green concepts into remedial programs often results in substantially reduced overall remedial project costs.