Location: Islandia Long Island, New York, Hybrid (Remote) Schedule Possible
Senior MEP Engineer/Staff Leader would be responsible for staff and project management associated with planning/design and inspection of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) as well HVAC systems including developing internal QA/QC procedures, standards, inspection procedures, and evaluation tools for MEP matters the firm’s municipal and private clients.
- Prepare and review drawings, specifications, and cost estimates for the mechanical, electrical, HVAC and/or plumbing (general piping) systems for municipal and private facilities and structures.
- Familiarity with MEP applications for both new structures and retrofitting/troubleshooting of existing facilities.
- Develops best practices and maintenance management measures including the review and update of standards on a routine basis.
- Prepare feasibility and economic studies and prepares reports on findings.
- Develops standards for design and technical specifications
- Investigates new MEP design concepts and technical developments of systems for applicability to engineering problems.
- Reviews plans and specifications for technical accuracy, code compliance and constructability
- Manages and oversees the work of subordinate staff, architects and/or engineers, for compliance with the Project Contract as well as applicable requirements of Federal, State and local agencies regarding fire, public health and safety.
- Reviews contract documents and schedules; advises staff inspectors on construction projects; prepares change orders and request for information responses as required for public safety and compliance with contract documents.
- Develops and maintains a cost estimating database
- Provides internal technical advice regarding installation and maintenance of MEP systems.
- Oversee comprehensive engineering projects, with responsibility for ensuring that the project is completed on schedule and within budget and for acting as a liaison between the municipal/private client and the contractor.
- Interact with manufacturers’ representatives regarding mechanical equipment.
- Demonstrated/documented ability to manage a professional (technical) and administrative staff.
- Knowledge of state and local codes pertaining to mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing engineering features of building construction, including energy conservation regulations.
- Understanding of design principles, mathematics, and construction industry practice for the solution of mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing engineering problems; methods and procedures used in planning and estimating job projects, terminology, phrases, and conditions used in contracts and specifications; and, testing and inspection methods for mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing systems.
- Ability to interpret architectural and engineering plans and specifications and analyze mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing engineering problems and formulate solutions.
- Knowledge of terminology, symbols, and sources of mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing engineering drafting and design information pertaining to building construction.
- Possess the ability to communicate clearly and concise, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to plan, manage, and deliver multiple projects.
- Operate personal computers and use specified computer applications, such as word processing, spreadsheet, and project management software. Proficiency in AutoCad a must, Revit a plus.
LICENSES AND EXPERIENCE:
License: Must possess a current Certificate of Registration as a Professional Engineer (P.E.) issued by New York State with an emphasis on Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing specialties. Postgraduate degrees and industry certifications a plus.
Education and Experience: Graduation with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college with a degree in mechanical, electrical, or other appropriate engineering discipline is required. Six to eight (6-8) years of professional experience as an engineer in charge of large/complex engineering projects including their oversight, planning, and design. This experience should include involvement with mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing system design and analysis for both small and large commercial or municipal building projects. The required experience needs to demonstrated ability to develop a systematic/organized managerial approach in designing and implementing mechanical, electrical, or plumbing systems in both existing and new facilities. and or construction.