D&B Engineers and Architects, D.P.C. (D&B), a full-service consulting engineering firm located in Nassau County, NY, has an immediate career opportunity for a Geologist/Environmental Scientist. Our firm is seeking a talented, hard-working and highly motivated candidate whose responsibilities will encompass working both independently and as part of a team to implement various soil and groundwater sampling and monitoring programs. The individual must be a self-starter and multi-tasker, and should have excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with strong organizational capabilities.
The primary responsibilities for this position include:
- Coordination for and implementation of field sampling programs, including HASP implementation.
- Drilling/excavating contractor oversight, soil/groundwater/soil vapor sample collection, monitoring well gauging for NAPL.
- Soil logging/geologic conditions description.
- Boring log, geologic cross section and groundwater flow direction figure development.
- Oversight of construction activities including monitoring well installation and decommissioning, soil excavation, UST investigation/closure, etc.
- CAMP and work zone air monitoring.
- Field activity report writing, monitoring/gauging data input, assistance with the preparation of various summary reports and other documents.
Applicants are encouraged to have the following minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geology, Environmental Sciences or related field. 3-5 years of experience is preferred. Entry level candidates will also be considered.
- Familiarity with soil boring and monitoring well installations.
- Thorough understanding of soil/groundwater/soil vapor sample sampling techniques and analytical methods is required. Experience with the calibration and operation of various field sampling equipment (i.e., Water Quality Meters, PIDs, Multi-Gas Meters). Familiarity with perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) sampling procedures a plus.
- Working knowledge of federal and state environmental regulations and industry standards is required.
- Excellent writing and communication skills and possess a flexible and cooperative attitude.
- Knowledge of commonly used computer software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) is expected.
- 40-Hour OSHA HAZWOPER training and current OSHA Refresher training.
The salary range for this position will be negotiated based on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.