Philadelphia Water Department
D&B/Guarino has been providing general engineering services to the Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) since 2003 and has completed many sewer reconstruction, water main relay and green stormwater design projects. In addition, D&B/Guarino provided management assistance in improving the delivery of capital projects. These projects have collectively included:
- Sewer and Stormwater Reconstruction: Over 43,892 linear feet of sewer reconstruction projects, with pipe diameters ranging from 18 inches to 48 inches.
- Water Main Relay Design: Over 104,754 linear feet of water main relay projects, with ductile iron water main diameters ranging from 8 inches to 36 inches.
- Stormwater Green Streets: Design of 15 green stormwater infrastructure projects capturing runoff from 16.3 drainage acres.
- Stormwater Swales: Design of two large stormwater infiltration swales and sewer system to control runoff from a 22-acre drainage basin as part of PWD’s “Storm Flood Relief” project.
- CSO Inflow Analysis and Prevention Design along Cobbs Creek: Site inspections and inflow analysis to determine if CSO outfalls are contributing flow into the interceptors during storm events. Recommendations included design plans and specifications for modifications to 19 intercepting chambers to prevent inflow from Cobbs Creek.
- Distribution System Optimization Program: Led the implementation of the American Water Works Association’s Partnership for Safe Water Distribution System Optimization Program.
- Implementation of Capital Program: Optimized the capital program by aligning design, construction, conveyance and collector activities to develop a more efficient process for leading a complex project through design, construction, startup and successful operation by the collector or conveyance group.
- Created Design Website: Developed www.phillywaterdesign.org to serve as an easy-to-use, easy-to-expand access point for Design and Construction resources. The site hosts the following fully electronic manuals that have been reviewed and updated: Water & Sewer Design Manual; Sewer Standard Details and Specifications; and, Water Main and Corrosion Control Specifications.
- Thomas Run CSO Storage Facility: Converting a 13-foot diameter storm flood relief sewer into a 5.2-million-gallon CSO storage facility, which will eliminate over 400 hours of CSO discharges annually.